Links to Current Water and Environmental Events:
- Penn State IEE – current events listing
- Penn State EESI – events happening this week at Penn State
- Join the IEE email list (to receive email of news, events, and opportunities)
- Check out the Pennsylvania Environment Digest for continuous updates on statewide water and environment issues. It’s edited by David E. Hess, Former Secretary of the PA Department of Environmental Protection.
2019 Events that PAWRRC is co-sponsoring, exhibiting at, or participating in:
- CUAHSI Master Class: Advanced Techniques in Watershed Science, Oracle, AZ, January 13-18, 2019
- NIWR Directors Conference, Washington, DC, February 25-27, 2019
- NOAA-SeaGrant/USGS-NIWR Directors joint Mid-Atlantic meeting, Washington, DC, February 27-28, 2019
- Environmental Science and Design Research Symposium, Kent State University, March 19-21 2019
- Penn State researcher discussion about PFAs, March 21, 2019
- Penn State Graduate Exhibition, March 22-24, 2019
- Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences at Penn State, meeting on research opportunities, March 26, 2019
- Penn State Gamma Sigma Delta Research Expo, March 26, 2019
- USEPA Board of Scientific Counselors Safe and Sustainable Water Resources committee meeting, April 23-24, 2019
- Pennsylvania Groundwater Symposium, May 1, 2019
- National Academies Review of the New York City Watershed Protection Program committee meeting, May 13-15 2019
- Penn State Energy Days, May 29-30, 2019
- Penns Valley Crickfest, Coburn, PA, September 2019
- Climate and Water Resources Workshop for K-12 Educators, October 2019
- Susquehanna River Basin Symposium, Lewisburg, PA, October 2019
- American Geophysical Union, San Francisco, CA, December 2019
2018 Featured Events:
Educator Workshop. PAWRRC led a workshop in 2018 on water resources and earth sciences in the French Creek watershed of Pennsylvania and New York. French Creek is nationally renowned as one of the most important streams in eastern North America. At Allegheny College in Meadville, PA, we brought together 4 faculty, 6 extension educators, 9 staff from non-governmental organizations, 15 science teachers from middle and secondary schools, and 9 college and university students. We engaged all educators in bringing aquatic habitats and water resources into their respective educational settings through field studies, visual imagery, digital maps, and data. See a video of teachers in the creek! This effort improved regional science communication about the origin of the interrelationships among the history, water quality, and aquatic ecology of waterways in northwest Pennsylvania.
Public Colloquium. IEE hosted internationally renowned climate scientist Dr. Katherine Hayhoe, as the keynote speaker for the 2018 Colloquium on the Environment. Watch her presentation about climate change here.
Public Seminar. PAWRRC supported a multi-day visit in 2018 from Dr. Chante Davis, a NOAASeaGrant Knauss Marine Policy Fellow. She met with students and faculty from around campus, and her public seminar presentation was filled to over-capacity.
Water Seminars. Water Insights is an interdisciplinary seminar series on water science, water management, and water policy sponsored by the Environment and Natural Resources Institute at Penn State. Watch recorded water webinars here.